Key Benefits of RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning)
- Facilitates access for ‘non-traditional’ students – people who may not have had the opportunity to do further study.
- Acknowledges value of learning outside a formal setting, e.g. values and recognises learning in the workplace.
- Validates the worth of learning students have achieved by themselves
- Enables students to progress to advanced education and training programmes
- Eliminates unnecessary repetition and duplication of material already familiar to the student.
- It shortens the time necessary to earn a qualification – this motivates students who might otherwise be discouraged by the length of time required to complete a college level course or a particular programme of study.
- Enhances students’ pride and self-esteem for what they have accomplished as learners.
- Enhances students’ perception and understanding of learning as a lifelong process.